Sunday, March 13, 2016

Goodbye, running


During your first pregnancy, generally people treat you like a special snowflake and are all "let me carry that loaf of bread for you! Don't exert yourself!". The second...people are still generally really nice, but in my experience, something about seeing me wrangling a 25 pound toddler makes me look not so delicate and in need of assistance.

He's cute but he's STRONG

But good lord the struggle is REAL. I'm not trying to be a d-bag and complain when I've had it really good in the baby growing business. I just wish I had fully appreciated how easy the first pregnancy is. It's freaking exhausting being pregnant with a toddler, and involves constant heavy lifting, and getting up and down, two of the hardest prego tasks. I could pawn everything off on Eric, and I have with most things, but I still want to obviously play and have fun with my kid. And he doesn't enjoy things like laying on the couch reading novels, my current favorite activity. So I should probably just suck it up and quit whining.

At the playground last week, he just decided - nah, I'm done with the baby slide. 

My current biggest challenge is the car seat, and I've only brought it on myself. When I went to put Dalton in recently, he discovered he could jump out before I strapped him down and climb up into the driver's seat. Then when I go around to the driver's side door to get him, he screams and runs away from me. The issue I'm having is that I want to discourage it but it's so freaking cute and funny and I can't help but crack up. Which means he thinks its a game, and wants to do it over and over. I think after spring break, Eric is going to have to do drop off and pick up from daycare.

Telling him no is a challenge

I tried something new that was a little crazy to combat the pregnancy exhaustion, which is back from the first tri in full force. Exercise and eating healthy.

Helping prep stuffed peppers

I actually used to do that stuff all the time, but clearly it's gone by the wayside and I needed to bring it back. I tried prenatal yoga twice last week. I was worried it would be a whole bunch of laying down and OMs and bonding with your fetus crap, but it was actually a good workout where my muscles were shaking at some points.

I also tried Barre (I'm doing a trial at a studio). I was kind of terrified, because it's supposed to be such a hard workout and at 30 weeks pregnant, just being alive takes all my energy. I even went at 6:15am. It was rough. So many tiny little one inch movements that were so painful. 

Wednesday it was 77 degrees after work so I thought it would be a great time to do a stroller run. I made it half a mile before I was having painful cramping in my belly, and walking back didn't help. I always get lots of Braxton Hicks (fake contractions), but I had some that night and into the next day that seemed more intense, more like the early labor contractions I had last time than BH. It freaked me out enough to call my doctor (but let's note that I made to 30 weeks before calling and asking about something that turned out to be nothing). They said I was probably dehydrated and to just rest and drink water (see above - not possible). I did feel better once Dalton went to bed and I chugged some Powerade and laid down. Still, I'm officially done with outdoor running. I'm due in less than 9 weeks, even if the problems are all in my head, it's not worth my peace of mind. There are plenty of other exercise options available to me. 

Although, I'll still have to do some sprints to keep this guy out of danger. He busted his lip Saturday morning while both of us were within arms length. 

Poor little guy.
Two months today till my due date! I feel like I've been pregnant forever.

Moms of 2+: What was your greatest third trimester pregnancy challenge? Yes, I know that the real challenge will be two kids. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness his little feet can't reach the gas pedal or you'd be in real trouble!

    You're so close to being done! Does summer vacation start right around your due date? What great timing for you and Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I thought wrangling the toddler while being pregnant was way harder than wrangling the toddler and having a newborn. Even though I was exhausted, I could bend over and stand up without making wounded animal sounds. So close to the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.