Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The children are coming!


This happened.


And now I've officially gone from "need to stay pregnant, need more time!" to "it's been fun, bring on the baby". Like a light switch the second the car seats were in (we have an upcoming appointment at the hospital to get them checked).

I'm grateful not to be at the "GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME" phase just yet, though.

In non baby news, it's time. The kids start tomorrow.

Seriously not loving that.

We had back to school night last night, so I got to see a lot of students, which helped to focus on the excitement part rather than the intense anxiety part. I'm moving up with the same group of students, per my request, again this year - I had them in third grade, fourth grade, and starting tomorrow, fifth grade. I'm pretty happy about that. Hopefully my sub doesn't let things run wild while I'm on maternity leave.

Tomorrow is the start of my tenth year of teaching, which I'm having a lot of trouble getting my head around. That's a third of my life. Or a third of the way to retirement, depending on how you want to look at it. Either way seems to signify that I'm no longer a crazy young gal.

Other fun numbers (just kidding, numbers aren't that fun, I don't even teach math and couldn't be more thrilled about that): today I am 36 weeks pregnant. Which means tomorrow I can officially complain that I am 9 months pregnant and teaching with no air conditioning in this lovely forecast.


Yeah. Should be as comfortable as it sounds. You won't hear me whining or preaching about how I'm 9.5 months pregnant or pregnancy is actually ten months, though. First of all, its not ten months, especially if you only count the time you actually know about the fetus. Second of all, we get it. It's a long time. Adding the .5 doesn't impress anyone.

In the interest of focusing on the positive, you know how those bones on your ankle make it tough to shave that area, ladies? Well, good news, if your ankles and feet get swollen enough, those bones no longer stick out, and shaving your ankles is a piece of cake. Side note - I'm a psycho and have to shave my legs every single day even in the dead of winter. I HATE how they feel otherwise and it drives me crazy if I skip it.

We met a pediatrician today and loved her and signed right up, which was really the last thing on my list. So we're "ready". Much like setting up my classroom, which I've been doing for the past week and a half, there really is no "ready" because you can always think of more things to do to get even more "ready". Still, the car seats being installed means the hospital will, in fact, let us leave with a baby.

My plan is to continue teaching until the last possible second so that I can spend every second of my maternity leave with my kid, so let's all cross our fingers for that. If you want, you can also cross your fingers for some crazy super fast exciting yet all positive and no danger delivery story, especially since I'm going on two field trips in September. I'm not gunning for that outcome but it would make for a good blog recap, and I'm always willing to take one for the team.
 

7 comments:

  1. Does the hospital check your carseat before they discharge you? What if you don't have a car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you could have a reader thinking "swollen ankles? I wish I had that!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for a field trip delivery story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my ankles swelled post birth I had the exact same thought about shaving. #meanttonbe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just an fyi, I thought it would be immediately easier to bend over to shave after I gave birth but with the tearing it still took a week or so for that to be comfortable.
    I was worried about going into labor or giving birth on a train or somewhere else between DC and my house but luckily that wasn't the case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't believe you are so close!! So crazy!! And side note: you wake up early!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.