Since this blog is about running, starting off and talking about running doesn't really fit into the "random" theme that so many blogs follow on Thursdays. Oh well.
Last night I went to the track for more partner 800s. I did eight of them total, with some warming up and cooling down for a total of just over 5 miles. Most of them were an average of less than 8 minute miles so I'm calling that a win.
I got home close to 9pm last night and was up at 5:20 am today for an 8 mile run. My legs were pretty tired but the run wasn't too bad. I finished in 1:16:05, for an average 9:30 pace. Out of curiosity, I wore my heart rate monitor, and saw that my average heart rate was 174. I looked back at some old runs where I used to wear the HRM all the time to compare, and saw the average was mostly in the mid-high 160s - so maybe this morning's run was a little extra tough? Except then I noticed that all those runs were way faster than now, and then I got depressed....what's my problem? Why can't I pick up the pace these days?
Ok here's some random stuff:
1. Triathlons are harder than road races. Specifically because I had to take a forty minute drive to have my bike "inspected" for the triathlon.
After spending literally about 15 seconds testing my brakes, I got this sticker.
1.5 hours in the car well spent.
2. Here's a look at the less glamorous, more life threatening side of teaching that they fail to mention in college.
I'm not saying they "made" me stand on a rickety ladder while I was soaked in sweat and hang letter cards above my head, but teachers are required to hang them, and the only place they stick is on the cork strip 2 inches from the ceiling, soo.....you do the math.
3. Trader Joes got me again. I went for staples like frozen broccoli, greek yogurt, and avocados (yes these are all "staples" in my life), and ended up with this.
4. I brought my camera to the farmer's market to try to take fun pictures like other bloggers seem to. Apparently they attend Utopian farmer's markets where everyone stands in line and speaks politely, because the one I go to is like one of those 90% off wedding dress sales where brides trample each other to death. If I ever tried to capture an artistic image of zucchinis, I would never make it out alive. So here's three different kinds of delicious melon I got suckered into buying and can't even eat until tomorrow.
5. I love my breadmaker, but unfortunately not all pieces are uniformly sandwich size, so at the end of the loaf I end up with a Boca burger that looks like this. Still delicious though.
To celebrate the fact that I survived climbing the scary ladder over and over, I'm meeting Casi downtown for some truck that's driving around giving out free ice cream, massages, and manicures. That's all I know, but how can that NOT be awesome?
How can I get faster like I used to be? Just suck it up and stop whining about it?