Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dalton's First Birthday Party


So, we all know I hate pinterest-y BS. People kept asking what Dalton's party theme would be and I was like the theme is friends and family gathering to watch a one year old smash a cake.

Which he did, with glee.
Although I don't really do "party themes", luckily I have some crafty friends. My BFF Casi made this smash cake for Dalton - tell me this is not THE BEST?!

SEE WHAT SHE DID THERE?????
My sister made this gorgeous sign for him - no big deal, she just has a three year old and 2 month old and works full time. Aunt of the year, right there.



We had to update it at the very last minute because of his 7th tooth and sudden ability to WALK! By the party, he was doing way more than four steps. He walked across the entire kitchen in front of everyone! Granted, our house is tiny so it may seem more impressive than it really is, but clearly I'm still excited.

I look terrible, he looks great, it gets posted.

I executed this idea all by myself!

Dalton's monthly pictures

Clearly Dalton didn't have a clue it was his birthday or anything. The party was just a fun excuse get together with people we love and celebrate how amazing this year has been with Dalton in our lives.

Can't imagine life any other way.

In every picture, one of these boys is always a blur.

Of course, he got some sweet gifts. We have pretty awesome friends. 


I know some moms cry because they survived the first year, but I didn't feel that way, although of course I had my moments where survival was my goal. I'm not going to get cocky about that or anything, because I'm sure it just means he's holding out for a different year to be the survival one. In my mind, the year mark is the transition to real parenting. We've spent the past year meeting his basic needs, but now, we actually have to help him grow into a good person. Terrifying. 


Do you do party themes? I might when he gets old enough to be interested but while he doesn't care, I'm not trying to do extra work.



15 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'd never even heard of a smash cake until I was at a bakery and asked about the "mini" cakes and was corrected on my terminology and given an explanation. There are such funny things around babies now. Smash cakes, push presents, baby moons...it all seems like such a display of an economy with a lot of disposable income. I have to wonder how my grandmother's generation who grew up in the depression and were happy to get by with what they needed would react to such things. Yay for Dalton walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy! People pay tons for smash cakes. I would have just made one myself if my friend hadn't offered. Paying more that $1.99 for Duncan Hines mix for a baby to smash is ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. When people asked me what leif's one year birthday theme was I said, "one year old birthday party."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think themes are a waste of time even though I love Pinterest. Getting together to celebrate is the main idea. Why waste time with the other stuff. I do like the shirt that says "one" and the photo display. And your sister made a great sign. She is like wonder woman with great handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say my sister made that onesie too!

      Delete
  4. Cordelia's party has a theme this year: monster princess. No promises that it won't look like a mess :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter how any pictures you post, I can't get over it: you have the cutest kid on the planet. #Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is AMAZING. And reading your blog is so refreshing, there really are so few bloggers out there who seem like they actually enjoy their kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for their kids (and I have noticed that as well) but mine is kind of awesome.

      Delete
  7. I did a kind of cheesy theme for my daughter's first birthday. Her birthday is December 22, and so I did a "Winter ONEderland" theme. I liked the play on words. For her 2nd birthday I didn't even do a party. Instead we stayed at a nice hotel, and enjoyed room service (she loved eating in bed) and a swimming in the indoor pool. I am not sure what we will do for her birthday this year. It's kind of hard since it is so close to Christmas, and we live over 1,000 miles away from most of our family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that cake! If your friend is not a professional cake maker, she has missed her calling! So happy to have been able to share the year with you via this blog. Keep writing. Keep smiling. Keep loving. Dalton is very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Dalton!! It looks like it was an amazing day (who needs pinterest project when the room is full of love and laughter?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Dalton!! It looks like it was an amazing day (who needs pinterest project when the room is full of love and laughter?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated happy birthday Dalton!! Where you celebrated his birthday dear? This year I am thinking to host my birthday party at one of the best LA venues. If you have any venue suggestions then please share!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.