Sunday, October 10, 2010

6 Days to Go

The Baltimore Marathon is in 6 days! I can't believe I am less than a week away from accomplishing a lifelong goal. It's something I truly always thought of as a pipe dream, not something that I would ever actually do. And now I am as ready to tackle it as I'll ever be!

I read about somehow who dedicates the last few miles of each marathon to special people in his life, and tells them about it. That way, when things get tough at the end, he thinks of that person and knows they will be asking about that mile. I really like that idea since obviously no goal is accomplished without the people around you who support you every step of the way. Therefore, I'd like to dedicate each of the last 6 miles of the Baltimore Marathon to a member of my family.

Mile 20: Gram
I am so lucky to have such a wonderful grandparent in my life. I love our phone chats and look forward to our trips to Rochester together. I appreciate her always being ready to listen to what's going on in my life. Her positive attitude each day despite facing some serious obstacles inspires me to look on the bright side of things as well. I love you!

Mile 21: Darcy
My little sister is going to college full time, working like crazy, preparing for the job world/grad school, AND running a half marathon this weekend! I think that's amazing. She is so beautiful, smart, hardworking, and generous. On top of all that she makes time for her many friends and her family. She has a charisma that makes everyone want to be around her. I loved our time together this summer and miss her now that she's back in NY. I love the fact that my best friend is also my sister! I love you!

Mile 22: Dad
My love of exercise started way back when I was a little kid doing aerobics videos (Gilad!) with my Dad. He always took the time to play outside with us and encourage us in our various pursuits, sports or otherwise. Now I look forward to sharing recipes with him, as well as sushi dates when I am in town. I have really enjoyed his visits to Baltimore and I am really grateful that he is coming all the way here for just one night to cheer me on at the race. I love you!

Mile 23: Vince
The only person on this list who is not a blood relative, and yet probably the person I am most similar to! I love that I finally have someone in the family who appreciates discount shopping as much as (or more than?) I do! I am so glad that he joined our family. While I love how happy he makes Mom, I am just as happy to spend time with him both on visits or chatting on the phone. I love you!

Mile 24: Mom
I am not only lucky enough to have my sister as my best friend but I also have my mother for my best friend. I wish I could go back to so many moments in my childhood and express my appreciation for all you she did for us. She consistently puts her children first, last, and always and constantly does so much to make us happy. She has been supportive of me my entire life and I don't think I could have done any of the things that I have without that support! I hope that when I have children of my own I can provide them with the same unconditional love and support that made my childhood such a happy one. I love you!

Mile 25: Eric
I know I keep talking about how lucky I am, but I am married to the love of my life! Eric has been there for me throughout my whole training, doing everything from driving me to PA for a race at 6am on a Sunday, cheering me on at every finish line, rubbing my feet after long runs, getting me multiple cups of coffee while I ice my knees, and listen to my nonstop talk about running. This is how he supports me in every aspect of life, not just marathon training; if something makes me happy, he wholeheartedly embraces it, no matter how much it might inconvenience him. This generosity is one of the many reasons I fell in love with him in the first place. I love you!

Mile 26 (only .2 to the finish at this point!): ME
When (originally typed "If" but erased it!)I have made it this far, it's because of all my hard work and training and I am going to finish thinking how proud of myself I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.