Monday, August 19, 2013

Adapting to real life


Buzzfeed has been even more dead on than usual lately. When we returned to land on Saturday and I was asking people what I missed in the world, someone told me "well, not much, but there were a lot of really funny Buzzfeed articles". PS I'm so sorry I can't remember who said that, so feel free to take credit in the comments. I missed A LOT in the blog world and even the real world and was trying to catch up really quickly.

First of all, finally my love for Wegmans has been documented, and I think everyone from Upstate NY will agree 100%. The one about Wegmans being your "night out" as a teenager - this was my life from ages 13 to... well let's just say for awhile.

Then I'm going to tag along to Kari's post about being in introvert, because Abbi linked to an article in her comments that seriously is my whole life. This might as well have been written about me and me alone.
YUP

As always, returning from vacation and adapting to real life again is HARD. Like, tonight I wanted to eat dinner. Not only did I have to cook the food myself, I had to go to the store to buy it first. I even had to clean up afterwards. Total BS. 

To compound that problem, today was my first official day back to work. If you've been paying attention at a level that people rarely do when it comes to blogs, you'd be wondering "back to work? you've been whining about having to work all summer". Well yes, I have, but that was summer school, my second job, and other optional, low stress work. (Not optional in terms of paying bills, but optional in terms of contractual obligations). Today was actually the beginning of the new school year (for teachers), which is a horse of a different color. Did that make sense? No? Let's move along anyway.

I am very lucky to:
a. have a job
b. like my job

but I think anyone who has experienced a Sunday night will agree that not working will always be superior to working, if for no other reason than it means more sleep and less pants with zippers. Returning to work is even harder coming off a week where every day the biggest problem was deciding which activity would be the most fun.

Luckily, my life doesn't suck, it's actually pretty good, so I think I will adapt. In time.

Yesterday I ran 5.25 miles. It felt pretty much how you might expect after 10 days of nonstop rich food and hydrating with liquor almost exclusively.

This morning I was up at 5:30 to attempt to get my back into my routine. I ran 7 miles with no watch and actually felt pretty decent. Now I've probably jinxed myself for tomorrow though.

What's your favorite thing about not being at work?

12 comments:

  1. Getting in the shower when I am good and darn ready to, after a cup of coffee and the Today Show and some time sitting on the porch in peace. That is what I will miss while getting up at the butt crack of dawn and groping my way to the shower every day for work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to sound lame, but I love to read before bed and I do every night. I totally get sucked into my book but then make myself go to bed because I know I have to get up for work. When I'm not working, I can read as late as I want!

    And yes, I'm old. Creeping up on the big 3-2 but truly approaching 75.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about not being at work? I don't remember, it's been too long since I had a job.

    That's right, I'm gloating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah....being a stay at home mom is the worst but best job in the world. If parenting wasn't so boring it would simply be the best.

      Delete
  4. Re-entry is BRUTAL! My favorite things about not being at work are wearing waste band pants/shorts and getting to shower whenever I want. Oh and sitting on the couch and sipping my coffee! Oh and that canceling plans thing? LOVE it when the other person does it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I love it when people cancel plans. ITS THE BEST. Yesterday my sister and I were supposed to have dinner and I'm sure we were both waiting for each other to cancel. Eventually my sister sent me a message that was like "I'm thinkinnngggg of bailing" and I responded "oh thank goodness!" ha. Pathetic.

    I agree with you...I LOVE my job, but weekends are just too awesome to only have once every 5 days. Over the summer we get a lot of 3-day weekends and this coming week is our last one for a while. I got SUPER bummed last weekend about it. I had a case of the "Sundays" starting on Saturday. The best part about non-work is sleeping. By far. I love sleep so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous StepfatherAugust 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

    The Buzzfeed comment was from your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha "anonymous stepfather." Your parents are funny.

    Sleeping in is absolutely my favorite thing about not working. Also on that list is drinking coffee for 2 hours before doing anything and being able to run as long and as far as I'd like. And naps. Naps are awesome.

    Why do I work again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that the best Buzzfeed list ever? Every single one is me as well! Having to 'think' and actually be 'on' is my worst problem with the whole job thing. I agree, Sunday nights are always the worst and on top of a vacation of bliss, it's always rough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The return to work is always so hard after a long break! I really like not having to get dressed in work clothes, I kind of hate work clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The return to work is always so hard after a long break! I really like not having to get dressed in work clothes, I kind of hate work clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.