Monday, February 24, 2014

My source of anxiety


As per usual, I spent Monday recovering from a wild weekend of partying and bar hopping. On Friday, we had our friends Carolyn and John over for a double date. Most notable part: Carolyn made whoopie pies. I love any dessert with more frosting than usual.



 
Second most notable - the girls were winning Taboo until the guys snuck up from behind.
 

Sometimes I wear the top/makeup/jewelry I wore to work and pair it with attractive striped different colored pajama bottoms for a Friday evening outfit. #ootd


Our crazy night ended with some Dance Central. That, I did win. (Dancing to Doncha, by the Pussycat Dolls).

 

Remember when "I want/had John Williams at my wedding" was a Facebook group? Remember Facebook groups?
Saturday, I went to an educational technology conference. It doesn't sound fascinating, but that's what I'm getting my masters in. Plus, I think I've made it clear that I love many things that most people find strange. Also, it was at the Four Seasons, and it's unlikely I'll ever get invited there for any other reason.


In case you weren't aware, I have a pretty impressive job title.


Please note the chevron pattern on my dress. I also posted a healthy dessert last week, and I have an oh-so-whimsical chalkboard, so I'm basically a healthy living blogger now. 

Sunday, I had a lot to do. Therefore, I did the logical thing and didn't do any of it, instead choosing to read Dance with Dragons (the fifth Game of Thrones book) most of the day. I'm now pleased to report that I have no groceries, grading, or grad work done, there's clean laundry covering most surfaces in my home, but I have read 85% of the book.

I'm having serious anxiety about finishing the book, because it's clearly going to end on horrific cliff hangers and the next book in the series won't be out until like 2017. I get anxiety about finishing books that I love to begin with, because then I have to say goodbye to the characters and find a new really good book to read. I've now devoted like 2 years of my life to these characters (even though I don't remember who half of them are and many died along the way). I have 24 books marked "to read" on Goodreads and none are appealing right now. Please help me. Bear in mind I need a break from horrific bloody battle and torture scenes.

I'm still branching out a bit from running workouts. On Thursday, my assistant principal ran a boot camp in the gym after school. It worked out great because I will literally never do things like pushups, burpees, and one minute wall squats (or any squats) unless someone tells/forces me to. I'm going again tomorrow. Friday, I did the bike trainer. Saturday was a rest day, and Sunday was just too beautiful not to run outside.

What topic would you give up your Saturday to attend a conference on?

Also, seriously, good books. Go.

 
P.S. Check out my sister's post on how awesome I am.

11 comments:

  1. A) Did you finish the Poison Study trilogy?! It's good! And I'm reading The Book Thief now (finally) and it's great. Much different than the dystopian-teenage lit I've been reading, but really good.

    B) I had to google #OOTD. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading trash from the library, so I can't really recommend anything.

    I'd give up my Saturday for a comicon conference. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double Sunset by Kristin Smith is supposed to be pretty good ;) HAHAH Oh wait you read that one already right? I really can't think of anything I would give up a Saturday for, although I would have been there this past Saturday had my job not been obliterated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that one, and I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  4. Read Escape from Camp 14.

    I'd brag about my fun weekend, but let's not lie to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I don't know what to read, I just go and find a new book by Jodi Picoult. It's like Law and Order + a chick flick combined in a book!

    I love your Sunday plans. That's what happened to us too. We had a long list of things to do and then were like "It's 60* outside! let's blow off everything responsible and go outside!" Which, by the way, was totally the right choice. Winter blows. I want spring here. To stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any book suggestions for you but I know my sister loves some of the Dean Kuntz books. I'm not sure what I would give my Saturday up for-maybe a session/tour of Trader Joe's & how they got started. With samples of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Those whoopie pies look incredible.

    2. Aren't you supposed to wear PJ bottoms for game night? [Admittedly, the Singapore equivalent is tech shorts + tech T shirt, since it's too hot and sweaty here to actually wear a tech T shirt while RUNNING.]

    3. You are totally a healthy living blogger. Chevron pattern seals the deal.

    4. Seriously cool book: Willpower, by Tierney and Baumeister [No, I'm not trying to be facetious or ironic; it really is!]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those whoopie pies look amazing!! God damnit dessert-ban. The chevron dress looks really cute, from what I can tell from the picture anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd only attend a Saturday conference if it involved cake...or whoopie pies...or candy. Maybe nachos...So, food basically.

    I am the same way about not getting stuff done on Sundays, then I feel bad about it all week long, promising to fix it the following weekend. But it's a viscous cycle that never ends.

    I recently powered through all the Jill Mansell books I could find. They're light hearted chick lit type books set in England. I have such a stressful life I just need something light and calming. HA! No, I just need a book I can put down for 3 days and then pick back up again without having forgotten all the main characters and who killed who.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best book I've ever read: "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk. If you haven't read it, get it. Don't schedule anything for the whole day. Sit down and read it. It's amaze balls. That whoopie pie looked fantastic - I wish I had friends that made me delicious things. Or just friends in general... Kidding :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.