Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Agree to Disagree

Ok, I need to address something that Kari's latest post reminded me of. Apparently, in the blog world, rest days are "hard". Practically impossible. 

No, they are not. As I discussed with Emily, who seems to be the only blogger that shares my opinion, working out is hard. Resting is easy. 

Step 1: Find couch
Step 2: Plant butt on couch
Step 3: There is no step 3

(Full disclosure - I based my resting plan extensively on Barney Stinson's marathon running plan.)

Or, you know, if it's not a weekend or you can't sit on the couch all day, just go about your normal routine, except use the time you would normally spend exercising catching up on the 5 million things that we all need to do.

I've beat my head against the wall talking to my friends and trying to understand this whole "resting is hard" thing, and I just don't get it. Ok, if you have an extended illness or injury that requires you to miss excessive time, sure, that's frustrating. But one rest day in an otherwise tough workout week? Awesome, and essential.

Therefore, I will have to just accept that I disagree with most other bloggers on this, and no longer dignify that statement with a response. Although, I have to point out that the fact that we have an obesity epidemic going on in America really supports my viewpoint here. However, if you are one of the many people in the "rest is hard" camp, let me say, I believe that you believe that. (That is the most annoying statement anyone can ever make during an argument. Try it next time you find yourself in one. Especially with your spouse.)

Despite a crazy workout on Sunday, Monday was not a rest day for me (I had the whole day off, so that would have been a total waste). I tried to sleep in and hit the pool for my swim in the late morning, but it was a major fail. I was totally nauseous and after 37 minutes gave up and got out. The one other time I swam later in the day the same thing happened, so I think I just have to accept that swimming is a first thing in the morning/empty stomach activity for me. At least in the nasty chlorine filled cesspool that I swim in, since I've swam in open water after breakfast and been fine.

So, for the record, I'm blaming chlorine and breakfast for my sickness. There's no way my Sunday night recovery foods played into it, my choices were beyond reproach.


That's actually a kale and peanut butter smoothie, the wine is made from chia seeds, and you can clearly see a water glass back there.

I didn't feel so good after the failed swim, and my quads were pretty tight, so I considered skipping my bike ride. Then I got an email saying that the location had changed so that the ride could be a "recovery ride" so I really had no excuse to continue laying on the couch.

I charged my Garmin, but it died about 2 minutes into the ride, nearly causing me to have a nervous breakdown, because if I don't know how far I've gone and how long it took, why even bother? Luckily, the other cyclist had one of those fancy bike computer thingies and she said we rode 12.5 miles in an hour. I thought recovery ride meant slow AND flat (hence the change of location), but apparently to the BATC it just means slow.

We went on some really cool trails with pretty views. I just recently mastered scratching my nose while riding without falling off, so there's no way in hell I'll ever be taking pictures on the bike, but here's some I took in the car before I left.

Random meeting spot that took me a half hour to find

Druid Hill Lake - so pretty, yet so ghetto


Ok, time to weigh in on the rest day thing - love it or hate it?

15 comments:

  1. Love. I fully appreciate one or two rest days a week and feel absolutely no guilt placing my butt on the couch and not leaving. That being said - I get why it's hard. One day off becomes two days off, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some weeks I really like my rest days, but other times I feel antsy like I need a run. During 50 mile training when my legs always felt destroyed, I loved them. Now I don't because I feel like I should be working out every possible day because the (temporary) end is in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read other bloggers talk about how they haven't taken a rest day in 2+ weeks, I laugh because otherwise I might cry for them. I take a rest day every week! My mind and my body just need it. On top of that I usually do at least one day with a lighter workout as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you're working hard enough, rest days should be welcomed ;)

    i don't have issues with rest days mostly because i NEED them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you-- I like my rest days :) Annnnnd somehow I always manage to make my rest days also be the same day where I eat whatever I want. Basically, my one or two days per week shadows every other day, but I've accepted it and moved on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take 1-2 rest days per week and I revel in them. I love them. I work hard the other 5 days so I can enjoy them...why wouldn't they be enjoyable?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest days are my favorite. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, being the "odd man out" is sort of my thing I suppose, so I'll chip in.

    I really love to workout...whether it be a run, a bike ride, a walk, or even a swim. I like being active each and every day. It is my time to be with me, for me. Even the bad runs tend to make me want to get right back out there.

    Sure, I "deserve" a day or two off each week, and I usually take them. But I still WANT to get out and do something, even on that day off. I don't feel like I should do something (many times, it is just the opposite...I mentally know I should rest my body and let it recuperate), I just want to.

    I suppose if I considered the training days "work", then having a "weekend" that I well deserved might seem more appropriate. However, for me its not work, but play. And I'm just childish enough to want to play every day.

    So yes, Rest Days are hard. I generally feel like I could go out and play. I want to. But rest is prescribed so that the play days can be happier. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it though.

    Of course, that's just me...YMMV

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take one rest day every week. Extra unplanned rest days are hard for me because I'm training to climb a mountain and fear failure.

    I am so using that phrase on my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVED rest days til I broke the ankle...then every day became a rest day and suddenly they weren't so novel. once i'm back out there again, i'm sure ill be thrilled to have the 1-2 rest/week that i used to love

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a long time but as I remember them rest days were great to catch up on all things left undone because of running.

    But you can easily see that I rather not do the whole rest thing. If rest day means an actual 24 hour period of no running. I can run a mile or two for my sanity and still get lots of chores done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't find taking a rest day hard at all. I really enjoy running and working out, but there are other things in life that make me happy too. I don't feel bad for giving those other things some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of rest days, as you know. Lately I've been taking way too many and feel pretty guilty about it, but once this house stuff is settled and I can breathe again, I plan on EARNING my 2-a-week rest days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog and really like it - but not as much as I like rest days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Resting is not a problem at all for me. Normally there are more rest days than workout days in a week if we're being honest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.