Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday surprising things I like

After more than two weeks of trying, I finally managed to drag myself out of bed for weightlifting, in the form of Body Pump. Getting up for weight lifting is so hard, because I really hate weight lifting or any sort of strength training, it's one of those stupid "good for you" things I try to force myself to do.

That's me in the middle, obviously.

Body Pump is an hour long, guided weight lifting class, where you vary the weights on the bars and use them to work all your muscles. Before the running addiction took over, I used to go a minimum of twice a week and was jacked could lift a little more than I can now. I ran to the class, because I have a 12 day pass for a different gym, so I got in 3.5 painful miles too (any miles post squats and lunges will not be terribly fun). I also dragged myself to yoga after work and got some extra leg strengthening in. 


I knew I didn't really have anything to say this morning, so I was going to have to do some sort of confessions post or something, then I remembered the Friday Favorites thing, so I am writing about some things I thought I wouldn't like, but I kind of love.


1. Renting vs. Owning


I can't wait to be a homeowner, but since we don't actually know where we will end up living when we grow up, right now renting is pretty awesome. Something breaks? Spend about 2 minutes filling out an online form, and it's fixed. I never have to worry about the heat breaking in a snowstorm or suddenly dealing with the expense of a new roof. I refuse to even buy drano, because the maintenance man even unclogs drains. They say they'll be there within 24 hours, I can't remember a time when they weren't there within like 6. Lawn mowing? Nope. Snow shoveling/plowing? Don't have to worry about it.


2. Smartphones


I was one of those who scoffed at smartphones for the longest time, saying "Why would I pay for 24/7 access to Facebook and Twitter?". Then this came into my life, when Kara gifted it to me by placing it under my tire after we ran 32 miles together. My life has never been the same. Crackberry, indeed.





I dropped it and broke it on Tuesday, and didn't get it fixed until Thursday night, and those were the longest three days of my life. Turns out, I DO need 24/7 access to Facebook and Twitter (FYI, my job blocks like every site on earth, including gmail).


3. Other people's Christmas cards


I may  not have it together enough to send out my own, I may not having anywhere to put them other than propped on a bookshelf in front of our wedding guestbook, but every time one arrives in the mail, I have a mini party.


Can you spot Emily's adorable card?
 4. After school activities


I used to just want to come home and completely zone out on the couch, so I was skeptical about signing up for all sorts of social commitments during the week. Main examples: Broomball and Book Club.
This is quite the opposite of laying on the couch.

Can you find Eric? Hint: Only black guy on the ice.
It turns out I LOVE having stuff to do during the week, and not just waiting for the weekends to have fun. It cuts down on my lazy, zoning out time, but I was practically in tears when we didn't make the playoffs and the Broomball season was officially over.


What did you think would be lame but you ended up not being able to live without?

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that picture really shows that Body Pump is working for you.

    I always thought Twitter would be lame and we all know that I can't live without that now.

    The same goes for TV news. I used to think only old people watched it and it's lame, but that's when I read the news all day every day for work. Now I watch the evening news like an old person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 renting. I hate being responsible for things, especially things involving moving snow. This is also probably why we don't have kids or pets. Or plants (I killed our bamboo).

    I also loved my book club in San Diego...although, to be fair, it was more like wine club with the occasional book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freaking love body pump.

    I liked renting, but it felt like throwing money away. Owning is great, but freaking terrifying.

    When are you getting your iPhone?

    Do you want me to send you our Christmas card? I thought about it, but didn't know if it would be weird.

    I need to find a broomball league.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really hard for me to make weekday plans because I like to just do nothing after work but I find when I actually force myself to do something, I do enjoy it. I am still scared of Twitter and haven't given in to the idea yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate lifting too. It's so boring! It has to be short and sweet. I usually work no more than 3 muscle groups per workout. That has been working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love our house, I miss renting. Thankfully I do very little of the actual work, but still.
    I have to get on Twitter. I think about it, but then I know I would become addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i could find a bodypump place near me! i've been dying to try it.

    i have an ipad...but i never thought it was lame - maybe more extravagant...like do i really need that? oh yes i do. i love it and can't live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought that I would enjoy takinga commuter bus to work. I love my naps to and from work now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the smartphone - I thought there was no reason I'd need one - now I can't imagine life without it.

    Broomball looks crazy fun - but I'm not sure that I'm coordinated enough for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "What did you think would be lame but you ended up not being able to live without?"

    Women's softball and women's volleyball

    ReplyDelete
  11. My iPhone for sure. I hated Apple (I know, shame on me!) for a long time and finally caved and got an iPhone in March 2010. All of a sudden I could figure out how to get places without getting lost or having to stop for directions. I could check facebook or play Words with Friends while waiting somewhere. Not to mention that I'm reachable 24 hours a day if someone has a crisis. I answer that thing night or day and I'm always there to listen or lend advice. Sorry if that was more than you asked for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could go to a gym for classes! I miss it.

    I didn't think I needed a smart phone until I had one either. I almost wish I hadn't ever gotten one because it is a bit addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Kara on the Twitter. And while I'm stoked to buy a house because it means I don't have to worry about increasing rent and non-renewal of leases, I am absolutely terrified of no longer having maintenance on call. The only thing that helps is that our maintenance here is so useless that it probably will take less time to get things fixed in our, we'll just have to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with Kara & Sarah on twitter. I thought it was not something I'd use but here I am winning blog giveaways and following cool people on it! I love it. Sad but true.

    I remember getting my first crackberry and being face down in it for days. It was when it seemed like you were important enough to have one. Now I couldn't imagine life without it and I have two - a work crackberry & a personal droid! Love the droid, hate the crackberry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The very best running shoes for women must have a dependable and considerable stability so that you wouldn't be likely to wobble and fall just because the shoes gave way when you are in charge of. More information on Running Addicted Blog on www.runningaddicted.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.