Sunday, March 23, 2014

Parrots at brunch


Two items were knocked off my countdown list this weekend.

1. Seeing Divergent

So first of all.... there were a lot of pre-teens there. Like....a LOT. I've been to all the Hunger Games and Twilight movies on opening night so this wasn't my first time at the rodeo, but it seemed worse than ever. The screaming, clapping, hysteria.... it was hard to handle. I'm willing to be that when you get home from work you don't want to do whatever it is you do at work anymore (I've always wondered how chefs deal with this), so I wasn't sure why I was willingly subjecting myself to MORE children screaming on my own time.

We knew going in that this would most likely be our last movie based on young adult novel opening night experience, and going out we were no longer sad about that.

The movie was good, but I didn't love it.  I don't know if J. Law just set the bar too high, or they changed too much from the book, or what, but I wasn't wowed. I enjoyed it and all, but not as much as I had expected to.

2. Girl's beach weekend


This, on the other hand, lived up to expectations.  We drove up to Rehoboth beach Saturday morning. The weather took a brief hiatus from the never ending winter we are in to pretend it was spring for a hot second. I even did this.

That sand was cold as hell, and I was wearing yoga pants and a hoodie.
Our agenda was a bit of a departure from the usual plan of hit the bars and make new friends. We checked into a nice little motel right near the water.

View from the rooftop sundeck
Then hit the beach. It required a bit more clothing than the usual bikini and cover up.




After a few hours of reading and dozing, it got too cold to stay any longer. We continued to pretend it was really summer and actually put on bathing suits and swam in the hotel pool.

There were a lot of perks to a beach vacation in March. Mainly, very few other people to deal with. Not a single annoying kid at the hotel pool.

We thought this would come out cooler than it did.

Also, no waits at any restaurant. We went out to dinner and then out for ice cream. I don't care if it was 40 degrees out and windy at that point - look at these flavors.

I was smitten.
Casi and I tried a sample of the bacon ice cream. Not shockingly, it was disgusting. Since it was so cold, we opted to just walk back to the hotel and enjoy our ice cream in nice warm beds, with some episodes of Full House.

This pic is staged, but it captures the night pretty well.
With my new nightly schedule of getting up to pee a minimum of 5 times, I was a fairly concerned about sharing a bed with someone who wasn't partially responsible for the wakeups. But I tried to be as quiet and graceful as I could, and I didn't get any complaints.

In the morning, we slept in and went to brunch. The food was good, but the most notable part was the aviary attached that you had to walk through to get to the bathroom.
 

A parrot with my eggs, NBD.
And now I'm home, and exhausted like we went on a white water rafting expedition or something.

What's your ideal girls weekend (or guys weekend? if I have any male readers?)?
 

 

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun. I'm kind of over girls weekends. Or maybe I just need some more girls. The last two times, there was a lot of drama that carried over for weeks afterward. You'd think as we got older, the crap would diminish, but it seems just the same.
    I feel you on the getting up to pee all night! I drive myself crazy...I hate to share a room with someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, wait...you DIDN'T order a cone of Stifler's Mom? I insist you go back immediately and report in great detail if she does indeed, have it going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun weekend! Ideal girls' weekend? A race, drinking and eating, then laying at the beach in the heat (beach in March? no thanks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like such a relaxing weekend! I keep hearing Divergent is disappointing and that totally bums me out. Luckily, I still need to see HUnger Games so that should keep me entertained

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was there pillow fighting involved??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way about Divergent. I feel like they left out at least 60% of the really exciting stuff. I mean where was all of the drama with Peter??

    That sounds like a pretty ideal girls weekend to me. I guess to make it perfect, it would have to be warmer weather, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Geneseo sweatshirt makes me go, "Awwww!" :)

    Ideal weekend would involve lots of delicious food at hole-in-the-wall places, playing Taboo, and probably watching Friends (because that's what my girlfriends and I DID many a night during college).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pretty much sounds like my ideal girl's weekend. Maybe eat more ice cream, but other than that it sounds about perfect.

    Friday was the first time I even saw a preview for Divergent and now I have to see it RIGHT AWAY! I'm sure it won't live up to my expectations though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.