Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Next Challenge

Last week I signed up for my first triathlon - The Columbia Irongirl! It's not until August so I have some time, which is a good thing considering I have biked exactly 8 miles in the past 7 years, I don't own a bike, and I have never swam in open water. It's a sprint distance, which I believe is the shortest tri distance. The swim is .62 miles, the bike is 17.5 and the run is 3.5. I know I can swim that distance at the YMCA, the problem is I won't have a push off every 25 meters in this event. I think the marathon got me addicted to that feeling of accomplishment after doing something that seems so frightening and overwhelming at the start. I actually had a huge fear of bikes since I fell off one when I was 20 and got all banged up and just rode one for the first time since that day a few months ago! So signing up for a tri was a big deal for me. I already told my Dad I need a bike for Hanukkah, so I can start training in the spring! It's weird that I will be completely starting from scratch as far as the bike. You get socks and a water bottle in your swag though so how awesome will that be? Plus it means yet another sticker for my car....

Tomorrow will be my first "long" run since the marathon! Either 10 or 12.5 miles - the email was a little unclear. I'm nervous since I've only done 6 since the big day! This week has been all about the classes. I've been working out but not running. It's just for fun though so I am excited, plus we are trying out a trail I have never been to. Let's hope I still got it. I am creepily excited to get out my running gear, like camelbak and body glide which have been gathering dust for three weeks now. Pretty awesome that the run is at 1pm, now that we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn when it's *only* 75 degrees.

My friend's birthday party tonight combines two of my great loves - 80s music and dancing! Is it totally messed up that I actually am sad I don't have the marathon training excuse for not drinking now? I'll have to make up something else to explain my love for water, since that's all I'm in the mood for tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing Iron girl!! I loved it!! I can't wait for the schedule to come out for everyone!! I'm sure you will be fine! I started from scratch last year- had to buy a bike and everything! This year I am requesting a new and better bike! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.