Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The definition of insanity

I ran 4 miles this morning. I'll do the same tomorrow, and that will be it until the big day on Saturday.

Despite what the blog implies, in person, I've actually kept JFK freak outs to a minimum this week (for me). Not really due to any growth in my stress management practices, but more because I've just been occupied with other stuff. I had Broomball on Monday night, grad class Tuesday night, and a shift at my second job Wednesday night. I picked up an after school tutoring program to make a little extra Christmas money/help the future of America. It's also parent teacher conference time, so I'm trying to fit those in before and after school. Looking at all that, I'm starting to feel guilty that I blamed running for my recent lethargy - maybe I gave it a bad rap?

I'm also feeling super stressed, but aren't we all (except for my husband, who's a freak of nature)? Nothing to write home about there. Just doing my part as a typical American.

Yesterday was a wonderful day (except for the 4 hours of grad class part). It was a rest day, and it was pajama day at school. Is there anything better than getting to spend the entire day in your pajamas and having it be not only completely socially acceptable, but even encouraged? I really don't think so.

Some people opted out of pajama day though. They woke up in the morning and faced this choice: spend the entire day comfortable and happy in soft, loose fitting pjs, or spend it in the same uncomfortable dressy clothes as every other day. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but to me, choosing the latter is absolute insanity. This is a mystery of life that's really boggling my mind right now.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that running 50 miles when you also have to option to just....not run 50 miles, or run a normal amount is a bit insane, especially when you factor in that I actually paid good money for that priviledge, but still.

More importantly, today was mismatch day, and I was extremely disapointed in the turnout. There was a lot of putting on two different shoes and calling it good. That's all you have? Fine for the kids, they're still learning, but teachers are supposed to be creative. Luckily my friend Mary came through with me.

Blurry photo with the Biebs in the backgroud - the work of a third grader.
Now that's showing some school spirit! Plus I even multi-tasked and wore running clothes as my base layer so I could just shed a few things and be ready for job #2.

Speaking of clothes, check back tomorrow for what will most likely be a post about the pros and cons of various race outfit choices. 

Please share theories about why anyone would wear professional clothes instead of pajamas. I can't stop wondering.

15 comments:

  1. b/c you want to look legen...wait for it...DARY! suits suits suits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with that, the first comment wins the comment section today!

      Delete
  2. Lunchtime interview for another job? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a response. But it's not appropriate. I'll refrain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my work we are able to wear packer clothes with jeans on Friday during football season. I Haven't missed a single day and even went and spent $75.00 on a stupid sweatshirt just so I could really make it as comfortable as possible. Any chance to not have to wear the dress pants and sweaters I normally wear, I take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a teacher so maybe it's different. But I wouldn't let my bosses catch me dead in my pj's. That said, I work in corporate headquarters and business-casual on Fridays is about as wild and crazy as we get. Plus my bosses are 50+ year old guys. It would be super weird at my job. But teaching?? You're supposed to be goofy and school-spirity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because most of society is cranky and miserable and stuffy clothes make them feel more so that way? I live in running clothes and pajamas so it must be rainbows and unicorns for me all the time...wait, that doesn't really work either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, first comment wins.

    I wear pajamas to "work" everyday. It never loses it's thrill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something wrong with me because I also work from home and only wear pajamas to work some mornings and when I'm sick. I think I need clothes to feel like a functional human being since I don't leave the house. That being said, if I had a real job I'd love the hell out of pajama day.

      Delete
  8. I used to love theme days at school! Brings back some memories. I always wanted to get an adult sized pair of those Winnie the Poo fleece full body zip up PJs (you know the kind you had to almost completely take off in order to pee). But then I think - an adult in pink winnie the poo fleece pjs? That might be the creepiest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh theme days at school, good times! When I worked at the bank we would occasionally have days that we could wear jeans and I never understood why people would still chose to wear the skirts/pants that they wore every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mismatch outfit is epic! Good work.

    I am a proponent of the argument that running 50 miles is insane... just sayin'. However, I did obsess and stalk Clay Aiken for many years of my life, so I have my own insane moments. Runs in the family?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You WIN the mismatch contest! You must work with a bunch of fuddy duddies. Who wouldn't take advantage of wearing pajamas to work and not having to match your outfit?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. opted out of pajama day - wtf? how is that even thinkable?!?!

    i'll be thinking of you sunday as i run 13.1 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. JB Poster next to poster of puppies....interesting choice. Your room?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.