Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another peek into my heartless, black soul


My Bob Potts race recap was long enough, so I decided to cut it off and save the most important part of any marathon experience for the next post. I'm sure you were all wondering - what did I make for my post-marathon dessert?

Saturday morning, I spent some time perusing food blogs. I not only needed a dessert for Sunday, but also for my upcoming birthday. I'd been looking for awhile, but nothing had felt right so far.

You know how on TV you always see brides in the dress shops and when they find "the one", they put it on and everyone starts crying?


 Well, I never had that. Don't get me wrong, my wedding was the best day of my life, hands down. Maybe I'm just too much of a loser who's not into fashion, but I'm not about to cry over a freaking dress. And I come from a family of huge criers. Crying in David's Bridal is actually right up there with marrying your best friend in my book.

Anyway, my point is that while I was able to choose my wedding dress dry-eyed, I think I finally got a taste of that feeling when I finally clicked on a recipe that was practically screaming to be made on my birthday, and when I got the idea to make brownie pudding again after my race. 

When I say after, I meant right after. I went straight to Wegmans on my way home, and then immediately got to work without passing go, without showering, nothing was more important than getting this in the oven.

I'm always looking for ways to work smarter, not harder, so I multi-tasked cleaning my kitchenaid mixer with refueling.


At that point, I was already covered in chocolate, so I just kept it rolling and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Amazing, considering I'm pretty positive that I've never done anything remotely productive other than make decadent baked treats after a marathon.

Once I finally showered, we went across the street to an amazing Mexican restaurant that I can just never get enough of.

Wore my medal. Obviously.
 I'm not sure when I'll learn, but eventually I'll stop stuffing my face with enchiladas and guacamole on an empty stomach after a long race. We had to take like a half hour walk after dinner before I could handle life again.

As soon as I was back in action, I started in on pineapple Moscato, a gift from Kari.


I think I discovered the key to marathon recovery - Dance Central. We played for hours, and I swear it was a serious workout.






PURE FOCUS
Eric had a really seductive booty shake.

This is how I waited for my turn. It felt so good on my back, plus you can see how cute the marathon shirt is.

Sorry, forgot to suck in my belly, but luckily this pose totes makes it look flat.
 Finally, it was time (aka no longer felt like I was about to burst and could handle dessert).

The setup



On Monday, I had big plans of being the laziest person alive all day. I came pretty close, although I did deviate a tad to meet two of my teacher BFFs for a four mile walk. After that though, it was on. Game of Thrones thought they could screw with us by not airing a new episode this week, but I showed them by beginning book four, and watching the entire first season on my Monday off. Even though I had just gone grocery shopping, Eric's suggestion of ordering pizza was way more appealing than attempting to cook. Mainly because I had already gone through one bottle of wine by dinnertime.  

Today, I brought all my hot yoga stuff to work and arranged for a ride there and everything (yeah my car is still f-ed up, we're not discussing that). Around 3pm I started thinking about how much more appealing leftover brownie pudding was compared to 90 minutes in a hot room with sweaty strangers. So I decided to ride the "I just ran a marathon!" train a little longer. I got home early enough to work on another one of my New Year's Resolutions: FaceTime with my nephew. Then I ate brownie pudding for dinner. Win win.

Did you cry when you found your wedding dress, or have you ever seen anyone cry? I have never witnessed this in real life.

21 comments:

  1. I definitely didn't cry when I found my dress. I bought the first one I tried on (though my mom made me try on a few more to make sure I really wanted that one).

    Eric is pretty fantastic at Dance Central. That really is the only way to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found my wedding dress in a consignment shop that was in a windowless room in NYC in august. apart from the fact that it was a massive fire hazard, it was approximately 200 degrees in the shop and i was sweating balls, plus they didn't have dressing rooms, so you either dropped trou in the corner of the room or put the dress on over your clothes. i was really hot, so you can guess which option i chose. and clearly, not a cry-worthy moment. although i was sufficiently sweaty to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a sale like that and found a dress I LOVED (still didn't cry though) but this total bitch had priority on it based on their weirdo rules and bought it plus another dress because apparently she had to have TWO dresses for her wedding but I'm absolutely not bitter or still pissed or anything.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen people cry, but I've definitely laughed while watching others try on dresses. There was this one mermaid dress that was making the rounds when I was a bridesmaid a few years back, and it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. My BFF's mom and I could not keep ourselves sober while looking at all of the women trying that thing on. Is that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wedding dress tears here.
    Brownie pudding sounds amazing and Pineapple moscato must taste like liquid candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually perfect because it's not super sweet! Very surprising.

      Delete
    2. i keep reading it as "brownie puddle"

      Delete
  5. I don't think I cried but I have a pretty cool wedding dress story- Before I met my would be husband (and eventually ex-husband) my Mom went to a wedding and showed me pictures. As soon as I saw the picture of the bride I said, that is my wedding dress. I was completely in love with it. So when I got engaged my Mom called the bride and asked where she got it. We went to the same store, I tried it on and knew it was it! The first and only one I tried on! To this day my dress is my favorite part of my wedding! (similarly I bought the first and only house we looked at so I am seeing a theme here in my life).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad this post had so many pictures of whootie.

    Uh, I didn't cry about my dress. I was like "Hey, I like this one. It has sparkles and shit and it's on sale. I'm done".

    Clothing that actually brings tears to my eyes: tiny newborn clothing, especially the little coordinated outfits. I can't even give some of that stuff away. I will hoard it until death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually pretty hard to see the whootie bc of the baggie pjs pants but I did what I could.

      Mine was on super sale too! Huge factor in my decision.

      Um, yes on the newborn outfits. I've watched a video of Harrison the day he came home from the hospital five times already today. About to be six. Make that ten. Or twenty.

      Delete
  7. Dude....YOUR PR HAPPENED. I totally am a lame ass and didn't post on your actual blog that it was amazing!

    By the way, that pudding stuff is pretty fantastic looking....I'm so hungry right now :-/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Frequent reader of your blog, but first time commenter. I never understood the whole crying for a wedding dress thing. I think it's weird. I took no one with me to look for wedding dresses. I didn't feel like it was that big of an event and I really didn't care what anyone else thought anyway. It was just me and the gal that was pulling dresses. Yes, I live a sad life. And brownie pudding needs to be in my tummy this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe how productive you were post-marathon!

    I teared up when I found my dress. I'd planned to just get something simple and on sale, but when I found my dress, it was totally THE dress. My mom cried too. It wasn't really about the dress...it was more like "I'm getting married!" happy tears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brownie pudding going on my to try list! Certainly no crying at a wedding dress here. I went to a store, by myself, and was not into the whole process at all. Things started to go better when the lady showed me the bridesmaid dresses that I could get in ivory instead of the wedding dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't cry either. It's a piece of fabric I wore for a few hours. Anyways, I have to go stare at that brownie pudding some more. Hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pineapple Moscato? And brownie pudding? Dear God, that sounds amazing.

    I did not cry when I found my wedding dress, and ended up divorcing the douchenozzle 3.5 years later. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not cry when I tried on my wedding dress, I guess I'm just a heartless woman that way. I think I need to make that delicious brownie! Though maybe not for a while, because I made brownies on Monday and it's hard having two brownie desserts in the house at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE DANCE CENTRAL. I seriously think if I owned it I would play for hours too.

    I don't think I'll cry when I find my wedding dress but if I do- at least you'll finally have witnessed it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1) I didn't cry when I found my wedding dress, either.

    2) I need to make that brownie pudding, stat.

    3) That is totally a legit way to clean your KitchenAid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1) I didn't cry when I found my wedding dress, either.

    2) I need to make that brownie pudding, stat.

    3) That is totally a legit way to clean your KitchenAid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did cry when my dad got there to see what the dress looked like before I bought it, although I didn't expect to. Another woman trying on a wedding dress handed me a box of tissues. It was totally a scene from a movie or something.

    I want brownie pudding now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.