Tuesday, May 21, 2013

More proof that I make wise choices


Within about a minute of pressing publish last night, I got two texts telling me how hard my race pictures were making people laugh. Based on comments, emails, and further phone contact, I get the impression that I spread a lot of joy and laughter last night. You're welcome, world. My writing may fall short, but my race day expressions never let me down.

 As a thank you, I decided to bring back a couple oldies but goodies. 

Myrtle Beach Marathon, 2012

Eyes closed and possibly sneezing?
I can never get enough of this picture. Might be my favorite race pic of all time.

Marine Corps Marathon, 2011. We hated you.
Once again, you are welcome.

I had another run in glorious 99% humidity before work today, but it was weirdly good. I even brought my headphones, which I normally don't for a run that short, but my audiobook was almost finished and I was dying to know what happened. Then it was over before I'd ran even half a mile, but I switched to Pandora and I think it helped pump me up. 

I decided to just take it easy and see what happened and I ended up with a 9:07 pace without feeling like I was putting forth too much effort. My heart rate was higher than usual, but my super smart science-y friend confirmed my rudimentary theory that it was because my body was working extra hard to sweat and cool itself. So now all I need to do is get used to that and completely acclimate by Sunday. Easy.

I'm running Sunday's marathon completely by myself - Eric will be out of town (not that I wanted him to go, spectating small marathons is horribly boring), and my friends that signed up with me aren't able to run anymore. I guess I've never done this before (running a marathon alone, I've run plenty of shorter distances races on my own, I'm not a codependent freak). Usually at least I know another blogger or acquaintance who will be racing. It's pretty weird because I have no one to obsessively email about the weather, so I just have to retreat even further into the obsessiveness of my own mind. 

So the plan Sunday is wake up at the ass crack of dawn, drive up, run 26.2, creepily ask a stranger to take a picture of me for the blog, drive home, get drunk on Moscato, pass out on the couch. Solid.

Last year for Memorial Day we stayed in a gorgeous house on Ocean Isle Beach.



But, this will totally be good too. Running 26.2 is a pretty close second to spending the weekend sipping drinks in paradise. 

Who's got some good Memorial Day weekend plans? I know mine are hard to top, but feel free to try.

19 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see that picture of me looking so thrilled with life while the guy behind me stares at my ass.

    I'm bummed I can't race with you this weekend. Soon...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I really did laugh. I loved your last post and this one is just as great. Good luck this weekend. I'll anxiously be waiting to hear how it went! I expect a drunk post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! Love that you can laugh at yourself and be totally comfortable!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing at myself is my life, second only to chocolate.

      Delete
  4. I live approximately 6 miles from the start of the Bob Potts marathon. I'm thinking I need to come out just to see if I can get some pictures of you smiling and eyes open?!
    Good luck at the race. It's supposed to be a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally come! You can run too - remember I have a bib! Or just cheer - I'll totally bake you cookies if you decide to!

      Delete
  5. The angle of the MCM picture makes it look like Kara is about to tip over. Good luck this weekend! I expect some truly hilarious pictures next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually I know a whole bunch of people that run that one but I looked at the list and only know 2 this year. I still wish I was running it! Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of you and Kara needs to be blown up and framed. It's beautiful.

    Feel free to text me about the race. Then I can feel like I'm running even when I'm sitting around doing nothing and praying my hip is healed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bad feeling you will come to regret that offer, but challenge accepted!

      Delete
  8. What was the audiobook? I am always looking for new audiobooks that suck me in.

    Also: I am totally wearing a Hunger Games t-shirt today. Yes, I am 32 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this. The day the movie came out, my friend and I wore our shirts to work and displayed the mockingjay on my smartboard and made kids take pictures of us.

      It was called Poison Study. I was addicted from like the first sentence and now I can't wait to listen to the sequel!

      http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Study-Maria-V-Snyder/dp/0778327116/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369224108&sr=1-1&keywords=poison+study

      Delete
  9. Those freaking photos still get me! They go perfectly with my morning coffee :)

    Headed out for a backpacking trip this weekend then some odds and ends for the last day. It's gonna be a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping to spend Memorial Day at the beach with Harrison not throwing a tantrum over the feel of the sand. Since he hates grass so much, I'm a little nervous about this new experience for him, so I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG... is it memorial day already. Guess you can tell I have no plans at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. UGH! The humidity is back! I did some intervals yesterday and wanted to punch anyone near me in the face. I'm pretty sure I looked a lot like your race pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your race photos are fantastic!! Maybe you could write a post on how to take such super flattering photos?

    ReplyDelete
  14. that sounds like a fantastic weekend to me! i have a friend running bob potts and i'm bummed i can't make it out there to see the both of you. i could scream like a lunatic ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.