Monday, April 11, 2011

Swimmers - please help me

This just in - taking home leftover sundae bar toppings is not conducive to fitting in to one's bridesmaid dress.   
I repeated last Tuesday's swim workout this morning, except I reduced the amount of rest time between laps (which I now know means down and back - thanks, Erin!) from 20 seconds to 15. I actually gave the notes (yes, I'm that person, I hope that doesn't lose me any blog friends) I took at the swim lecture that Lily and I attended a few months ago a quick once over before I headed to the Y. I decided to focus on form, not speed, and it made a HUGE difference. I didn't feel like I was going to die after each lap. Operation DO NOT DROWN just may turn out to be a success.

If you are a swimmer and reading this - PLEASE help me! I was in so much pain that I almost didn't make it to the end - from my googles. The rest of my body was fine. In order to keep water out I seem to need them tight enough so they are bruising my eye bones and about to suck my eyeballs out of their sockets. No one else at the pool appeared to be in this situation. What is the secret?

I have a late meeting at work tonight so I am missing yoga - sad. But I just got GREAT news that a friend got engaged this weekend, so it's a tradeoff. 

I'm about to go get observed by my principal and 3 other teachers and have it videotaped so I can enjoy it later....can't wait. Also it's supposed to be 80 which is about 30 degrees higher than it has been every other day so I am wearing the only short sleeved shirt and skirt I could find and it doesn't look even remotely professional.

5 comments:

  1. This post reminded me of why I hate swimming :) If you'd thrown in the "I still smell like chlorine even after my shower" you would have hit all the bases.

    Good luck on your observation! Try not to smack any of the kids, even if they really are asking for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...goggles. I swam throughout highschool and can tell you that I had problems with goggles, too. The trick is to find some that fit YOU. There are tons of different kinds out there. I found that I had to hold them up to my face in the store and make sure they didn't dig into my face. I had more luck with the ones that were more "spongy" instead of stiff, around the edges. The saying, "you get what you pay for" is definitely relevant when it comes to swimming goggles.

    Some of the hardcore swimmers wore some with NO padding (like the Speedo Swedish), and I never understood how they didn't end up with water in them and bruises around their eyes.

    I hope that helps. I think, just like with buying new running shoes, it helps to "try them on" in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa- are you still coming to Syracuse in May?! If so, send me an e-mail of when! I'll help you swim- i'll get you a guess pass to the Y and i'll tryy & help a little bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah & i like speedo goggles- http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=17250&color=213 i think thats the ones I have & lovee them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, it was like a billion degrees in Orlando for my conference and it took me forever to figure out what to wear so I looked professional but wouldn't melt completely! I feel your pain

    Good luck with the goggles, no advise here sorry :(

    p.s. I totally want to hear your stranger in a BMW story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.