Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How "easy" is easy?

Body Pump is great and all, but the right way to start a morning is with a run! I started off today with 6 miles at 9:08 average pace. I actually went to grab my ipod and thought "nah, not feeling it today", which is EXACTLY my goal! I'm pretty excited that I didn't feel like music was absolutely necessary to get through (although that's quite the opposite of how I felt during the marathon). It was a beautiful (cold) morning and I actually got to hear birds. Although, the temperature was 28, not exactly how I pictured my springtime runs. Also I am ready to leave the pepper spray at home and run in daylight!

So I felt that during my training for Shamrock, my "easy" runs got a little too easy, if you know what I mean. There's really no reason for me to run at a conversational pace when I am by myself, and just because it's not a speedwork day doesn't mean I shouldn't be a little out of breath. I felt good about this run, I went at a pace that didn't feel "easy" but also didn't feel like I was pushing it too much (except for the last mile, then keeping the pace turned into a tempo run, but I'll blame Body Pump for that). I might take easy runs a little slower when I am doing it before or after a speedwork day, though. If I want to keep up with Kara on the trails, I better get that pace up, because she keeps her miles fast even while pushing her stroller!

I went to yoga last night and it's on the agenda again today - I don't know how I ever lived without it, now I am so addicted. Tonight is also our marathon training group's celebration happy hour, and you better believe we will all be celebrating.

4 comments:

  1. There's marathon training group happy hours?! Now I'm even MORE excited for the one I'm joining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought the same thing about my "easy" runs yesterday, so I stepped it up a notch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a marathon group! My idea of happy hour is when the baby goes down for the night and I get to eat cookie dough :)

    I run faster by myself because I get bored if I go easy. Also, I run quickly with the stroller because it's like running with a ticking time bomb :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Training group happy hour?!? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments make me probably more happy than they should.